Maryland Volkssport Association
Saturday, September 14, 2013Columbia, Maryland
Officers Present: President, Bob Schmick; Vice President, Skip Coburn; Treasurer, Kenneth Wilson.
Attendees/Club Delegates: Dave Scull AT Regional Director, Germania VC (VA), Darrell Neily (Freestate),
Sue Kenyon (BWC), John Dye (Columbia), Dick Paronto (Annapolis),
Salva Holloman (Greenbelt), Carolyn Thurber (Sugarloafers) and Susan Osborn (BWC).
The Meeting was called to order at 12:30 PM by President Bob Schmick. Bob greeted all in attendance.
Minutes from the July, 2013 meeting were approved as printed and distributed at the meeting.
Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Ken Wilson (See Detailed Report given out). Expressed dissatisfaction with Capitol One Bank. There is not enough information in the monthly statements. He is using one of their "as of" dates statements, which are not as current as his data. Ken stated there will be an increase from $5.00 per book to $6.00 per book decreed by AVA in the cost of MVA books. Ken purchased $3,000.00 worth of books, obtaining a twenty percent discount granted to associations and clubs. Although we will receive the 20 percent discount, we now have to pay the cost of shipping. Unfortunately, there were insufficient funds in the MVA treasury for this purchase, so Ken will cover this purchase personally when he receives the invoice. MVA will continue to sell books to clubs $4.00 per book. Price will be same for New Walker Packets.
Meet-Up: 436 signed up members the events. Each person who signs up gets an email. Linda Hassell from Free State keeps a list of people who responded.
Facebook: The AVA Facebook page is the place to post pictures of your events. Also Walk Maryland has a Facebook page to post upcoming events.
1. Annapolis Amblers were approved to be a 501c4, and we lost out on 501c4. Bobby completed the 1024, 39 pages. Tax Number from IRS should be completed by next MVA meeting.
2. YRE Renewals. All except for two YRS's, Damascus (Piedmont) and Mercy Hospital (Balt.) all YRE's have been renewed. MVA & clubs sponsors YRE in 23 of the 24 Maryland counties.NEW BUSINESS
1 . Checkpoint: "Information the club members-- club publicity tool kit is ready. Please see if your club can use its tools.
2. Free Walkers. At the NEC meeting, it was voted no change in policy. Freestate does not permit free walkers. Anne Arundel County Parks wants to charge clubs $2.00 per person for participating in a "walk."
3. The Baltimore Health Fair. We need volunteers to pass out AVA and MVA literature.
4. Clubs posting event pictures on the AVA Facebook page.
5. Fun -- make it fun; Christmas party? friendships--
6. The next MVA meeting will be Tuesday, December 31, 2013 at 1:00 pm, Freestate walk at Owen Brown Rec. Center, Columbia, MD. John Dye will reserve a room for our meeting.
Annapolis Amblers: The Amblers will hold an event on Sunday Sept. 22, Oktoberfest, In Annapolis. Also, on December 14, Noon to 5 pm., featuring the annual Annapolis boat parade.
Baltimore Walking Club: Two Events remaining: Druid Hill Walk zoo in October, and Conowingo Dam on November 23, 2013.
Columbia: Fall Walk, Ellicott City, October 19, Howard County Wellness Fair (John Dye). Christmas Walk, second Monday in December.
Freestate: October 12-13. On 10/12, a new Event walk in Cambridge; several points of interest activities, and dinner. On 10/13 Sunday, the YRE in Denton; December, 31 and January 1, 2014, Owen Brown.
Greenbelt: The club hosted today's walk, September 15.
Piedmont Pacers: Oktoberfest in Frederick, Md.
Seneca Valley Sugarloafers: A seasonal event will occur in Kensington from Oct. 19, featuring the Mormon Temple. Oct. 26, Gordon Creek and on Nov. 16, Gaithersburg Moonlight walk.
Washington DC: TSept. 23. Woodrow Wilson Bridge walk. The Club will hold the traditional December 7th Alexandria Scottish Walk.
WorldWide Walking Club: January 2014 cruise to St. Thomas and San Juan.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 pm.
President, Maryland Volkssport Association